Quick Tips On Face Coverings For Students & Families
Face coverings are one of the public health precautions our schools will follow as students return to in-person learning. We understand this is a big change for a student’s classroom experience and want to share what the requirements are and how schools will help students adjust.
- Students may wear either a reusable or disposable cloth face mask OR plastic face shield with a drape
- Students who arrive at school without a mask or a shield will be provided a mask to use while at school. The school will also reach out to the student’s parents to remind them of the face coverings requirement and offer any assistance if needed.
- Students will be reminded when necessary to not touch or remove their masks when at school unless directed by their teacher. Disciplinary action will only be pursued for students who intentionally do not follow face covering rules and teacher direction.
- Teachers may take students outside or to a large well-ventilated space in the school for a brief mask break while they are at school.
- Accommodations for students with disabilities will be determined by their IEP/504 plan. Additional precautions will be taken to ensure the safety of other students and staff, if a student is identified as needing an accommodation related to the COVID-19 conditions.
- Parents seeking a face covering exemption outside of an IEP/504 plan accommodation must file a mask exemption request with Benton-Franklin Health District. Students seeking an exemption will be required to wear a face covering until the exemption is approved.